Facts About the Maine Windjammer Fleet
- The Maine Windjammer Association includes traditional Maine tall ships, ranging in size from 64 to 132 feet on deck. Most of the windjammers are National Historic Landmarks. All of the vessels are individually owned and operated.
- The Maine Windjammer Association is the largest fleet of working windjammers in America.
- Each windjammer carries between 16 and 40 guests and 4-10 crew members.
- The windjammer fleet hails from the ports of Rockland and Camden, located in the mid-coast region of Maine.
- Transportation is available via the Portland International Jetport and Bangor International Airport, with car rental and limousine service to the Rockland/Camden area. Commuter air service to Rockland is also available from Boston. Bus and Amtrak train services are available from Boston and Portland. Parking is available.
- The Maine coast, with more than 3,000 islands, is considered one of the most beautiful cruising areas in the world. While sailing, one is always within sight of land. Each night the windjammers drop anchor in a peaceful port or harbor where guests may go ashore and explore.
- Guests may participate in all aspects of windjamming, including hoisting sails, taking a turn at the wheel, navigating, or helping out in the galley if they choose.
- “Schooner-cooked” meals are served family style. Menu items include fresh seafood, roasts, garden salads, chowder and homemade breads and desserts. A lobster bake is featured on every cruise.
- Accommodations are simple, consisting of single, double and triple cabins, all with comfortable mattresses, fresh linens and plenty of warm blankets. All of the vessels offer hot showers and electricity in cabins for charging devices and C-PAP machines.
- Seasickness is rarely a problem due to the easy motion of the ships and the protected waters they cruise.
- All vessels undergo rigorous U.S. Coast Guard inspections and carry ship-to-shore radios and other electronic navigational devices.
- The vessels sail the coast of Maine from late May to mid-October. Use our Cruise Search to find your perfect vacation.
- Request a set of brochures or contact the Maine Windjammer Association at 1-800-807-9463.
- Windjammer sailing vacations are affordable: multi-night cruises range from $675 to $2,488 per passenger, all meals included. Charter groups and families are welcome.
- It’s a vacation experience unlike any you’ve probably had.
- Enjoy the beautiful scenery of Maine’s unspoiled coastline up close.
- Unplug. Relax. Unwind. And experience the freedom and joy of sailing by wind.